Tara McElroy, J.D.
Tara graduated from the University of Toronto Faculty of Law in June 2011 and joined Waldman & Associates in August 2011 for her articles. She was called to the Bar in Ontario in June 2012 and has been an Associate with the firm since that time.
Tara has experience representing clients before the Immigration and Refugee Board and in all varieties of applications to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. She has assisted clients in complex matters, including inadmissibility and exclusion from refugee status.
Tara regularly appears before the Federal Court of Canada in Applications for Judicial Review and Motions. She has assisted in high profile cases before the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Tara is an avid traveller and has volunteered in Kenya and Peru. At the undergraduate level, she studied international development at McGill University. She continues to cultivate an interest in global social justice issues.
Tara speaks and writes French at an intermediate level.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Member, The Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Refugee Lawyers’ Association
- Member, Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers
- Member, Refugee Law Panel, Legal Aid Ontario
Notable Cases Tara Has Been Involved With:
- Ezokola v. Canada, 2013 SCC 40, assisted in representing UNHCR as an intervener before the Supreme Court of Canada.
- France v. Diab, 2014 ONCA 374, assisted in representing Amnesty International as an intervener before the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- J.P. & G.J. v. MPSEP, Supreme Court case heard in February 2015, Tara was co-counsel before the Supreme Court